As The Peters Company’s Transaction Coordinator, one of the topics that I get the most questions about is the Final Walkthrough. And rightfully so! If you’ve never purchased or sold a home before, the final walkthrough can be a little confusing!
Let’s break it down!
Who: Who attends the final walkthrough? The Buyer and their Agent. Occasionally the Listing Agent will also come to the final walkthrough.
Where: Where is the final walkthrough? At the home being purchased/sold.
Why: Why are we doing a final walkthrough? So the Buyer can make sure the property is in the same condition as when they made their original offer to purchase. Also, if any repairs were negotiated to be completed prior to closing, the Buyer and their Agent will make sure those repairs were all completed. The final walkthrough is especially important when the home has been vacant.
When: When do you do the final walkthrough? Prior to closing. Typically the day before or morning of closing. Even when the Sellers will keep possession after closing (for a pre-determined amount of time) it is still important to do the final walkthrough prior to closing.
What: What should you be checking? Here’s a quick list to get you started:
- Make sure all debris is removed and that the home is in “broom swept condition”
- Test the heating and air units
- Open and close all of the windows
- Turn on and off all of the light fixtures
- Run the water in every sink and shower. Check the water pressure and for leaks under the sinks
- Flush the toilets
- Open and close all of the doors
- Test all of the appliances
- Test garbage disposal and exhaust fans
- Inspect the repairs (if any) that were to be made
- Look over the ceilings, walls, and floors
How: Most times final walkthroughs are pretty quick. Unless there were a crazy amount of repairs, it should only take about 15 – 20 minutes.
Now that you’ve made it through the final walkthrough, congrats! You’re on your way to the closing table! If you are looking to buy or sell this year, let The Peters Company hold your hand every step of the way! Call us today at 404-419-3619!