You know the old saying “a picture is worth a thousand words?” Well, that’s never truer than with property photos for a real estate listing. As the listing coordinator on our team, I am responsible for setting up the photo shoot for each of our listings. This means scheduling an appointment with the professional photographer and arranging it with the seller. I’m often at the properties a couple of days before the photos are taken and find myself telling our sellers that one of the most important pieces of the marketing plan is going to be the photos. We want them to look as good as possible! When a buyer pulls up a listing on the computer they aren’t stopping to first read the verbiage, summary, etc. They immediately look at the photos! Luckily, we work with an amazing professional photography company, Home Tour America, which does a really great job shooting our listing photos. Sometimes they’re so good that people can’t believe the pictures are of the same property! Home Tour America has generously provided us a detailed checklist to share with our sellers ahead of the photo shoot to ensure flawless pictures. Here’s a sneak peek at that list:
- Make sure all light bulbs are replaced and consistent throughout the home. A combination of eco bulbs and traditional incandescent bulbs result in color distortion in photos.
- Please turn off all fans and have lights on. The photographer may decide to turn off the lights depending on the lighting conditions.
- Clear all clutter including pictures, personal effects, trash cans, toys, pet beds and food bowls. Limit pillows and throws.
- Clear all kitchen and bathroom counters.
- Clear refrigerator of magnets and personal items.
- Make sure pets are secured and, if possible, out of the home.
- Please blow debris from deck, yard, driveway, etc.
- Remove trash cans, cars, etc. from the front of house.
As you can see, even the tiniest detail can make a difference in the way listing photos turn out. The professional photography combined with a staging consultation that we offer our sellers allow a listing to truly put its best foot forward.
If you’d like to see what we can do to help prepare your home for the market so you receive top dollar, please give The Peters Company a call today at 404-419-3619! We’d love to help!
Written by Heather Thomas, The Peters Company Listing Coordinator